The following motion was put, discussed and carried at the April 2017 meeting of Bellingen River Labor.
MOTION – ECOLOGICALLY SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
The Bellinger River Branch FEC calls on:
(1) Labor at federal and state levels to reaffirm its commitment to ecologically sustainable development (ESD) (Note a) and makes action on climate change, clean renewable energy, sustainability, conservation, scientific research, law reform, and just transitions for impacted workers and their families, communities and industries – economic, social and ecological policy priorities.
(2) Labor at federal and state levels to support the rapid expansion of job creating, region building and future proof sustainable renewable energy and agriculture industries as to secure long term supply of energy, employment, food and water resources leading to economic, social and ecological prosperity.
(3) Labor at federal and state levels incentivises sustainable energy, agriculture, business and communities providing for long term economic, social and ecological prosperity.
(4) Labor to hold the Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister and Government to account on its ratification on 10 November 2016 of the Paris Climate Change Agreement (Note b) which has sustainable development at its core (Note c) and notes support for ESD policy by the Leader of the Federal Parliamentary National Party (Note d).
(5) the Prime Minister, Treasurer and Government prohibit the international export (Note e) of coal from the proposed new Carmichael mine in the Galilee Basin (Queensland) by the Adani Group as it is not compliant with the principles of ESD, the Paris Climate Change Agreement, the principles of good government (Note f) or the national interest (Note g).
(6) Labor at federal and state levels in opposition immediately opposes, and in government immediately prohibits, new mines or other new extractions for fossil fuels, domestic implementation of nuclear energy, new large scale land clearing and any new government assistance for such activities on the grounds non compliance with ESD.
(7) Carried motion be advised of in writing to:
- the Hon. Bill Shorten MHR, the Hon. Mark Butler MHR (Climate Change), the Hon. Jason Clare MHR (Energy), the Hon. Tony Burke MHR (Environment), the Hon. Chris Bowen MHR (Treasury), the Hon. Joel Fitzgibbon MHR (Agriculture and Rural and Regional Affairs), the Hon. Mark Dreyfus QC MHR (Attorney General),
- Premier of Queensland,
- Mr Luke Foley MLA, Hon. Penny Sharpe MLC,
- Senator Jenny McAllister and The Hon. Linda Voltz MLC,
- National General Secretary, NSW General Secretary,
- Labor Environment Action Network – National and NSW,
- Cowper FEC and Oxley, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie SEC
(a) See “Guiding principles“
(b) Statement by the Prime Minister, 10 November 2016
“We look forward to actively and fully implementing our obligations and our commitments under the agreement”
(d) Letter from the Hon. Barnaby Joyce MHR supporting ESD
(e) Using powers 51 (i) of the Australian Constitution
“The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to: (i) trade and commerce with other countries, and among the States;”