NSW NATIONALS SAY TURNBULL MUST RESIGN – DOES LUKE HARTSUYKER AGREE?
Statement by Andrew Woodward, Bellinger River Branch, Australian Labor Party, 1 December 2017
In an astonishing move, the NSW Leader of the National Party and Deputy Premier of New South Wales, John Barilaro, this morning called on Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull to resign (ABC 1/12/2017).
This is unprecedented in living memory in Australian politics – the state leader of a political party calling on the federal leader of its coalition partner in government to resign. The coalition is over – it is there in name only. The Nationals have a decision to make – to push for the the Liberals to sack Mr Turnbull or withdraw from the Coalition.
The Member for Cowper, Luke Hartsuyker, must let the electorate know where he stands. He has previously described Tony Abbott as his “close friend” and was later sacked as a Minister by Malcolm Turnbull in February 2016. In more recent times, Mr Hartsuyker has indicated he may contest the leadership of the Federal Parliamentary National Party. (CCA, 31/10/2017). As a potential leadership aspirant, he is duty bound to disclose where he stands.
In particular, Mr Hartsuyker needs to answer:
- Does he agree with Mr Barilaro that Mr Turnbull is “completely out of touch”.
- Does he share Mr Barilaro’s view that he has “lost all hope” on Mr Turnbull’s leadership?
- Does he agree with Mr Barilaro: “Turnbull is the problem, the Prime Minister is the problem”.
- Does he agree with Mr Barilaro that Mr Turnbull should “… should step down, allow for a clean out of what the leadership looks like federally.”
- Does he agree with Mr Barilaro that “You’ve got a party in disarray, a Coalition Government in disarray and a community not unified and that is all at the feet of the Prime Minister of Australia.”
- Does he agree with Mr Barilaro that “Turnbull should give Australians a Christmas gift and go before Christmas.”
If Mr Hartsuyker remains silent on these matters, he is not worthy of being an Assistant Minister and should not recontest Cowper at the next election. The Liberals and Nationals at all levels are a rabble.Mr Hartsuyker is a part of the problem and not a part of the answer.
If he was fair dinkum about leadership, he would take a stand. Instead I bet he is “unavailable”, “declined to comment” or “did not respond” or he’s too busy – off taking selfies for his expensive glossy brochures and facebook – as usual.
Updated: 1 December 2017